[Gllug] Debian or Fedora

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Mon Feb 23 12:50:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:16:28PM +0000, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:36:45PM +0800, Hong Chyr wrote:
> > Hi all
>
> > 2. I read somewhere that Fedora is "based on Debian". Is that a fact?
> > Does Fedora use RPM or Deb?
>
> Fedora is the descendant of Red Hat Linux
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/
>
> Hence it uses rpm with yum or up2date for depsolving. apt-rpm is also
> available and is not in the core distro yet. You might want to research
> a bit before posting such statements.  Google is your friend here.

In the sense that Fedora is a community-based distro, it has indeed based a
lot of its philosophy and structure around Debian.  So in that sense, it's a
fair comment.

> choice.  But I'd ask you please actually think about the questions you
> ask - try reading this

> Then reread your questions.

I quite disagree with ESR on this issue (and many others), but I fear it's a
losing battle to fight, so I'm not going to start.  The basic jist of my
argument would have been that we shouldn't alienate people that haven't
developed the research skills that you or I perhaps have.  This will only
push people away from embracing this (IMO) wonderful operating system and
(more importantly) our method of enhancing the state of the art through code
disclosure.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk