OT: [Gllug] Debian or Slack

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 17:11:31 UTC 2004

 --- "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at clues.ltd.uk> wrote: >
On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 16:52, ben f wrote:
> > Where to deb bigots stand vs. slack (I use this
> term
> > in a non-flamebait way!!).
>
> Slackware is unusable in a production
> environment[0].  For example, how
> would you maintain your slackware server if there
> was no compiler
> available?  Supposing you have 10 boxes not 1, or
> 150?

If I didn't want to compile on every system (and I
agree if I had loads of servers I'd soon hate that)
then I'd create a slackware package and push it out
to all the others with a script. How do you do this
with debian?

> > Do debianites tend to use pre-existing packages or
> > roll-their-own, as I generally find myself doing
> for
> > slack.
>
> Almost everything most people will ever need is
> available as a
> maintained deb package.  If you really want to
> compile stuff (though I
> fail to see why[1]), you can grab the source of the
> deb package and do
> so.

Sometimes I find that packages haven't been compiled
with the options I require so I recompile. I don't
do it with optimization in mind.

> [0] Don't bother with the outraged denials. Come
> back when you run 200
> slackware servers. :)

Good use of the smilie! I'm not outraged over here,
just open-minded about distros. Personally I've yet
to wed myself to any one distro. Debian and free/open
bsd are on my "to do" list.

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk