[Gllug] 3 and linux

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 10 14:28:31 UTC 2004

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can usefully use that 3G speed
for anything remotely useful. You are limited to accessing 3's own
content (doesn't include such wonders as a train timetable, or general
WAP access); and you are limited to using it on the phone, unless you
have friends in low places.

Depending on the phone you buy you *may* be able to get access at 2 or
2.5G speeds.

If/when the powers that be decide to get their act together ("we were
surprised to discover that people would like high speed Internet
access") it may be a different story. I think all the 3 handsets support
the bluetooth modem profile, so I guess Linux support follows from there.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk