[Gllug] RAID level 1

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Thu Feb 19 15:35:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, wendy carr wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for the tips.I dont seem to have /etc/raidtab
> and output of cat /proc/mdstat is
>
> root at RAID etc]# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> read_ahead not set
> unused devices: <none>
> [root at RAID etc]#

Errr....  you are not running any sort of software RAID.

I think that you have been confused between LVM (logical
volume management) and RAID.
I think you have put both your 60Gig disks into a volume
group? Then you have created logical volumes.

There is hardware RAID and software RAID.
Hardware RAID is 'looked after' by either a special card in
your PC, or by a chipset on the motherboard.
The Linux software doesn't 'see' this - its done at a lower level.
I'm assuming that you don't have hardware RAID.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk