[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Feb 11 14:44:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:21:58PM +0000, Doug wrote:
> On Wed 11 Feb Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > What do you run on your relays?  If Exim4 then rush to implement smtp
> > callout (first making sure that Exchange does reject invalid mail).  If
> > not, consider LDAP.
>
> qmail.  Don't laugh.

Qmail has its fans and defenders.  DJB is undeniably a very good coder
and security expert but my personal view is that in Qmail his attitude
(essentially, the man is an arse) has operated to the detriment of the
application.  See if you can spot the contradictions here:

	1.  DJB refuses to allow patched versions of qmail to be
	distributed because he wants to ensure that everybody is getting
	only the top quality code as vouched for by him.
	2.  Qmail's design makes it impractical for use as an mta (in
	any but home-user situations) without a whole series of
	user-contributed patches.

The Qmail community is, in effect, hawking a product that its creator
would not validate.

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick