[Gllug] Undelete...?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Feb 5 17:11:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:25:08PM +0000, Richard wrote:
> Novell would keep deleted files around for weeks if you had enough empty disk
> space (and the right config). I seem to remember it would keep multiple
> versions of old files around if you wanted it to.

Netware keeps them until it needed to re-use the space.

> Actually, given the size of drives today, it's something that should be
> default on every distro

It's not a space issue.  *nix filesystems are notoriously
undelete-hostile not through simple oversight or miserliness but because
of conscious design decisions with specific objectives.  For instance,
such filesystems simply do not suffer from fragmentation.

Should this now be changed at the fs level?  The GUI desktop
environments available to Linux implement their own trashcans and will
catch any deletions done using their file managers or through their API.
It could be argued that anybody venturing below that safety net should
read the warning signs and be prepared.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"