[Gllug] How to access files on Win platform through Linux

Simon MORRIS simon.morris at cmtww.com
Fri Feb 13 12:38:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 06:00:30PM +0530, gaurav verma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed both Win2000 & RedHat Linux9.0 on my system. How can I
> copy or access the files stored on Win2000 through Linux. Can somebody help
> me please?

Hi Gaurav,

The first thing to know is which formatting is used on the W2K
partition. If it is NTFS you'll need to do a couple of extra steps.

If it is FAT/FAT32 you can mount it using the following

mkdir /mnt/windows
mount -t msdos /dev/hdx /mnt/windows

Where /dev/hdx is the partition you are trying to mount. If you do a
fdisk -l you can see which partitions you have.

I'd have a stab in the dark and say you'd be mounting /dev/hda

If your partition is NTFS you need to go over to
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ and a read of their documentation.

HTH

--
Simon Morris