[Gllug] Rejecting mail at backup MX

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Feb 11 16:03:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 03:58:10PM +0000, Xander wrote:
> I have seen people complain about admins using callout.  I use it myself
> and it cuts out thousands of spam that Spamassassin and RBLs miss or are
> unsure about.
[snip]
> (For those that have not used it: Exim tries to reject the email and
> sends a test reject to the sender.

Well, that's how it does sender callout and it's not trying to reject
it, it's just does this:

	helo exim.box
	mail from: <>
	rcpt to: sender at alleged.source

I don't use sender callout at all, I just use recipient callout, where
the mailer connects to the destination system and does this:

	helo exim.box
	mail from: alleged.sender at alleged.source
	rcpt to: recipient at domain.org

and rejects the mail if the end system rejects it.

--
Bruce

Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards, apart from
ostriches if you punch them hard enough.