[Gllug] gaim uninstall/reinstall problem

Will Napier will at thinkingsuccess.com
Fri Feb 6 00:37:55 UTC 2004

I tried to install a Redhat security update. Being a newbie, I knew I
had to do the equivalent of uninstall first. I had read that you just ahd
to remove the relevant gaim files. Doing a search showed a fair few files,
and I removed (rm command) the gaim binary executable (a purple square
diamond icon) and a file called gaim.desktop. I then rpm'd the redhat
security update, and it said it needed three files, one of which was
htmlview. After not being able to download these from rpmfind.com, I
decided to rpm the original mandrake 9.2 rpm for gaim .75. It said that it
was already installed. But typing gaim in the command line didn't work.
How can I get out of this all too typical newbie experience of linux and
at least return to using the mandrake rpm for gaim .75? I guess I have to
uninstall but what does this mean? Grateful thanks.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk