[Gllug] New worm doing the rounds?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 17:26:09 UTC 2004

On Monday 09 Feb 2004 2:24 pm, Richard Jones wrote:

> <rant mode="angry">
>
> Don't you think these "anti-virus" vendors could stop sending me emails
> like this:
>
>  "We have detected [Windoze worm which is well-known to fake the From:
>   header] in an email you sent to [email address I have never heard of]"
>
> It really is just plain stupid.  If you know what the worm is, then
> you know it fakes the From header, so don't send a bounce.
>
> </rant>

I get a huge number of these as well - they just seem to be yet another form
of spam.

The Windoze (l)users and "anti-virus software" vendors don't actually seem to
realise or want to understand that these silly "anti-virus" programmes simply
can't work - as by their nature, they have to be reactive.  It only takes a
competent programmer (or a "script kiddie") a matter of minutes to knock
together a virus or trojan that's unique, so invisible to these "scanners".

The virtual invulnerability of Linux to malware should be one of its' major
selling points!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk