[Gllug] Centrino and Linux APM

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Feb 9 09:51:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 12:50:39AM +0000, Garry Heaton wrote:
> I wish to buy a PC laptop which will give me maximum battery life while
> running Linux. While the Centrinos have been heavily hyped in the last 12
> months can anyone say whether they noticably extend the battery life under a
> recent Linux distro (Red Hat Fedora Core/Mandrake 9.2) with APM or is this
> benefit an exclusively Wintel phenomenon.

I recently got a Thinkpad X31 with a P-III mobile 1.8GHz. Its got really
good APM support, so running RHEL3 I get about 3 hours on a single battery.
Oh, and the builtin Wifi, Bluetooth, modem, sound all have Linux drivers!
With the base station attached (which contains the CDRW) you can add a
second battery, increasing the life even more.

> Second question: does running a laptop in console moode significantly
> increase battery life compared with, say, KDE running only a terminal plus
> Mozilla. Any examples from real-life usage welcome.

Dan.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|