[Gllug] Still not very good at Samba - setting the hostname

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 15:32:42 UTC 2004

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:

>Ben
>
>Thanks for your advice. I think the problem must be name resolution because users can happily access the shares if they use the ip address.
>The only thing that can do the name resolution is Samba, but I don't know how to get it to do so. And I do find it odd that the netbios name I set for the host doesn't appear in the workgroup, which remains resolutely empty.

If you do a /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

do both processes restart?

nmb is the netbios naming daemon and if there is a problem in the
configuration file then it can occasionally fail on start up.

You can also use netbios aliases = file fileserver newfileserver

and all of these machines will show in the work group.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk