[Gllug] pipe data to mail body

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 16:48:59 UTC 2004

 --- Richard Cohen <richard at vmlinuz.org> wrote: > On
Fri, 27 Feb 2004, ben f wrote:

> No, I didn't - and I don't think you should have to
> either.  I've just
> tested it specifically with mail, on my work Solaris
> box, under bash, and I
> don't need the echo.  I only put the echos in to
> include either a blank line
> (between the header(s) and the body) or literal
> strings...

Rich!

I apologise. I mistook your parentheses for $(...)
i.e. command substitution.

I believe the real distinction between the two is that
the command substitution places the result where the
$(...) was and continues execution, while the
output of (...) is fed to stdout?

I'll certainly be using this piece of info a lot more,
so thanks for that. Great to learn more about bash.

Thanks,

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk