[Gllug] Centrino and Linux APM

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 00:50:39 UTC 2004

I wish to buy a PC laptop which will give me maximum battery life while
running Linux. While the Centrinos have been heavily hyped in the last 12
months can anyone say whether they noticably extend the battery life under a
recent Linux distro (Red Hat Fedora Core/Mandrake 9.2) with APM or is this
benefit an exclusively Wintel phenomenon.

Second question: does running a laptop in console moode significantly
increase battery life compared with, say, KDE running only a terminal plus
Mozilla. Any examples from real-life usage welcome.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk