[Gllug] Inland Revenue - proprietary formats

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Wed Feb 18 02:25:11 UTC 2004

When I last looked, the cd documents were all in PDF format.
Have they changed this now? I can only suggest buying a lovely
mac with shockwave ;)

Tushar

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:51:39AM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> **** WARNING - ACTION REQUIRED BY THE READER ****
>
> This morning I received a copy of the 2004 employer's CDROM.
>
> It contains instructions on how to use it for M$ and Mac users, I could not
> find anything for Linux users. I have written & asked where to find instructions
> to: helpdesk at ir-efile.gov.uk
>
> When they write back to say that there are non and Linux is not supported I shall
> complain - ending up with a formal complaint as to how the government is disadvantaging
> me by forcing me to buy something that I do not what as I use a perfectly good alternative.
>
> What makes this interesting is that I remember reading a few days ago[**] that the linux
> desktop has now overtaken the Mac -- so when they say that Linux has no market share
> I shall point that out to them.
>
> The main issue is, of course, open formats.
>

> Most of you are employed, borrow the CD and attempt to use it in your Linux box and
> then write in & complain. Unless we do this sort of thing, the guys in govt won't
> change their ways.
>
> Please
>

> [**] - can't find the link now, can anyone remember ?
>

> --
> Alain Williams
>
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>
>
> FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
> best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
> --

|                 Turtle Networks Ltd.                 |
|  Unit 48, Concord Road, London W3 0TH                |
|  Tel: (020) 8896 2600     |  Fax: (020) 8992 7017    |
|  www.turtle.net           |  tjoshi at turtle.net       |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk