[Gllug] Re: ext3 disk recovery?

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 11:22:36 UTC 2004

 --- Wulf Forrester-Barker <wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk>
wrote:
> > If you have a problem with the first superblock,
> > try specifying a different superblock with
> > e2fsck.
>
> I did see that in the man page but I don't think I
> tried different superblocks. If I try a few block
> sizes to no avail, what would be the consequences
> of blatting the superblock?

To my knowledge this isn't something you want to
do. AFAIK, the first 512 bytes is actually
the MBR. If lilo/grub is working for you then don't
go there.

An even so, you should be booting from a root disk to
run e2fsck on /dev/hda1 or whatever your / partition
is.

If your first superblock really is useless, just
leave it where it is. Try the later copies (-B). Your
superblock is there to tell you what your filesystem
looks like and where it's all kept on your disk. If
e2fsck finds a good superblock further into your drive
it will rebuild the first one for you as part of the
check / repair.

I've been through this with a faulty IBM Deskstar
(argh!). _Afterwards_ I started doing backups :(

Good luck!

Ben

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk