[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Jan 22 11:03:18 UTC 2004

On Thu 22 Jan Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:31:12AM +0000, Doug wrote:
> > Some VPN protocols work ok through NAT, notably PPTP.  PPTP has other
> > defects, but we use here because it requires little user support for
> > windows users and it works OK through their now ubiquitous wireless/adsl
> > gadgets.
>
> Do you mean it works OK with port forwarding, with the server behind
> NAT?  Because PPTP doesn't work reliably if the client is behind NAT,
> IME and AIUI.

I expect for everything you ever want to do there is some retail NAT box
that will bugger it up :)

However, IIRC the PPTP messages don't at any point contain the IP
address of the client system, which means connections can be initiated
from behind a NAT system.  Certainly it's working successfully here for
a number of people.

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"Roast Fish and Corn Bread"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk