[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jan 12 17:09:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 04:46:45PM +0000, Rickey wrote:
> Couldnt agree more. When it gets too complicated, gets something like
> those packages in. I'm just trying to think of a setup in which just 200
> machines require such specific setup that one of those config management
> setups is justified (to me).

With cfengine you describe the state your machines *should* be in and it
makes such changes are as necessary to achieve that.  It makes it a
useful tool for imposing security policy.

To take a simple example, consider the /home directory.  Linux systems
often configure the permissions on these in eccentric ways and admin
tampering can leave a network with a range of /home set-ups across the
network.  cfengine (assuming it is already installed) lets you tidy that
up quite simply.  You just add a line to the config file on the cfengine
master describing what the permissions on /home and all the machines on
the network will change to match.

This is already simpler than the only practical alternative (in the
absence of cfengine or a similar tool), which is to use ssh to change
the permissions on each host.  Now consider that cfengine is typically
run in a regular cronjob, which means that it will correct any tampering
(malicious or absent-minded) within hours.  Then consider that cfengine
allows you to place hosts into multiple, arbitrary classes, allowing you
to specify different /home permissions for the different classes.  You
can use cfengine to associate a huge range of configuration options with
different classes.  Done properly, reconfiguring a server to reflect a
change in function becomes as simple as changing the class(es) of the
host and waiting.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.