[Gllug] LVM1 and LVM2

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Jan 5 17:01:17 UTC 2004

John Hearns writes:

>>From what I gather, 2.6 kernels should still be able to read LVM1
>format (as I would like to be able to flip between 2.4 and 2.6)
>Anyone tried this in practice?

Yep, tried it, it doesn't work :-) In theory it should, but it needs more
fiddling than I've been able to devote to it so far. Part of the problem
is that my root fs is on an LVM volume. My understanding is that the on
disk format remains the same, but the kernel interface has changed. Thus
a new set of userland tools are needed to access LVM, and so my old initrd,
which does stuff like vgscan, fails under a 2.6 kernel. In principle all
that's needed is an initrd that calls the LVM2 userland tools, rather than
the old LVM1 tools. But I haven't got around to it yet...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk