[Gllug] Speaker Suggestion

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Jan 8 16:10:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:05:17PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Just curious... what makes you say that? I'm certainly not aware of
> anything in Forth that couldn't be expressed in Lisp.Is it really
> a superset, though? Is there anything you can do in Lisp that you
> couldn't do in C, for example (or vice versa)? Yes, each language
> has different levels of native support for various things, and Lisp
> is undeniably more flexible, but could you emulate Lisp behaviour
> via a C program? Sure. So by your logic, C is a superset of Lisp :-)

I wasn't denying that C, Lisp and Forth are all Turing complete, and
therefore have equal "power".  However you know as well as I do that
it's a lot easier to use garbage collection in Lisp than it is in C.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk