[Gllug] Laptop in a spin

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann TSCHUTZER-WEISSMANN at ofsted.gov.uk
Tue Jan 27 10:01:28 UTC 2004

My laptop has an annoying habit of deciding to run v e r y   s l o w l y
 for no apparent reason. The load goes to about 90% but I can't find any
proces responsible using top or ps. The run level seems to make very
little difference, although after five minutes of treaclely
unresponsiveness and the fan doing a hovercraft impression, level 0 is
very restful.

Can you suggest some methods to investigate this?
The little I know is:
- it happens more often on battery power than AC power.
- I'm using ACPI and kernel 2.6.1.  Aha! Well, I could never get the
wireless drivers (orinoco_pci or hostap_pci) to work until I tried 2.6,
and it won't boot with APM instead of ACPI. It's actually a slight
improvement on the 2.4.22 kernel that came with Slackware, because that
would sometimes just hang on battery power, and the wireless would never
work at all.

Any help much appreciated,
Tom SW

We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage
sustained as a result of software viruses. It is your
responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary before opening any attachment to
this message.

The information in this email and any files transmitted with
it may be of a confidential nature and is intended solely for
the addressees. If you are not the intended addressee, any
disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and
may be unlawful.

www.ofsted.gov.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk