[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Jan 24 17:26:09 UTC 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 16:54 pm, Doug Winter wrote:
> On Sat 24 Jan Nix wrote:
<SNIP>
> > Luckily this is workable around. The NAT, well, I worked around it
> > by using half-bridging mode :)
>
> Gah, so what's a half-bridge?

I've just set this up myself, so hopefully I understand what's going on
now...

The ADSL modem assigns its external IP address to the internal
router/gateway, and simply passes all packets through. In a full
bridge, you need to do the PPPoA/PPPoE on the gateway, but with a half
bridge the modem does that for you.

You only need to set up the routing table on the gateway with the
relevant settings, which I managed to work out by trial and error from
the modem's route table. It seems to be running fine ATM, but it's only
been going for an hour and I haven't managed to test it from 'outside'
my local network yet.

HTH

Dylan

                                  -Benjamin Franklin