[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Jan 21 14:30:55 UTC 2004

On Wed 21 Jan Bruce Richardson wrote:
> Can you make any recommendations on that?  My experience has been that
> cheap routers don't do good passthrough, that of the routers being sold
> to the Soho markets the only ones doing good passthrough are the more
> expensive ones capable of either offering VPN capability (for example)
> or passing it through.

I don't know if this is what you mean by passthrough, but I'm running my
router in bridging mode, so it bridges pppoa to pppoe, then running
pppoe and a pppd on the OpenBSD box, so it's actually that that makes
the ppp connection.  Then I can firewall on ppp0 as my internet
interface.

The actual router was the uber cheap (well 35 quid) dabs one with the
Conexant chipset, as previously recommended on here by someone else:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/productView.htm?quicklinx=17P7

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"Roast Fish and Corn Bread"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk