[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jan 12 16:21:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:23:25PM +0000, Rickey wrote:
> cfengine looks prety funky, but also like one of those things thats a
> solution looking for a real problem ! I've never used it so I could be
> way off.

Some of cfengine's features are a little clunky (the "editfiles" tool is
just awful) but it's a very good tool for managing a large network.
With a little work you can create a initial configuration file which,
when run, pulls down the latest configuration file and then applies all
the modifications and updates you need.

Among cfengine's strengths are the fact that it uses a "pull" rather
than "push" approach (more secure) and it works across multiple OSen
(even windows) so that you can describe your configuration intent for
the entire network in one file.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.