[Gllug] email, filtering etc

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Sun Jan 11 19:07:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 06:27:04PM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> a. From my Debian installation will I be able to connect to my main ISP,
> use say Konqueror
>    to connect to Tiscali and get any mail from there (shouldn't be
> much). I get to my main ISP
>    through a separate box holding only my Firewall (Smoothwall).

I would think that should work, if the ISP with which you connect
doesn't block it.

> b. Is it possible to configure Debian to get email direct from Tiscali
> (I think wvdial would let
>    let me connect, but what about the POP box?).

Subject to condition (a), you could use fetchmail to get it while
dialled in to your normal ISP.

> c. Is there an ISP which supports Linux and offers a 'pay as you go'
> account?

Supports, not to my knowledge. However, a "standard" one should be easy
to set up.

> d. Anything wrong with what I'm trying to do, or a better way  of going
> about things?

Whereas I am a fan of spamassassin, I can see why some people aren't.
Your way sounds as good as any.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk