[Gllug] Apple

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jan 13 09:44:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:51:42PM +0000, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are encountering evermore Apples in our travels so I figure I will
> have to buy one and learn a bit more about it.
>
> Is OSX like Linux?
>
> Will I be able to run Linux software like OOo on it?
>
> Any other thoughts?

I got an iBook G4 which I'm pretty pleased with.  Inside it's
basically a Unix (BSD) machine, although since I'm using it as a
wireless terminal / web browser most of the time I haven't
investigated that in great detail.  I have, however, installed Fink,
so I can do 'apt-get install <packagename>', just like on Debian.

Amazing battery life - just about 6 hours, even with the wireless and
backlit display on.

Windowing system is very funky - with features like fully scalable
windows.  Safari web browser is probably my favorite web browser,
since I changed a few of the defaults.  It also comes with IE, which
feels rather like going back in a time machine 4 years.

Comes with a complete development environment - gcc and their own
"Xcode" IDE.

Haven't worked out how to get it to talk to my CUPS networked
printers.  This feature just doesn't work AFAICS.

No problem with build quality, so far, although I have heard people
recommend that you get the full warranty.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk