[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jan 20 12:43:11 UTC 2004

On Tuesday, 20 Jan 2004, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>Don't forget that many of those components are manufactured in factories
>in developing nations by firms who take advantage of the local
>conditions to impose very unfair working practices (and I don't mean
>some components company you've never heard of, I mean IBM and Dell, to
>name just two) like sacking anybody who tries to unionise.  Where is
>that covered in the GPL?
>In fact, that is not fair.  I have no idea if RMS is aware of that issue
>or what his position is on it.

You can hardly expect RMS - or anyone - to simultaneously be an
effective crusader against _everything_ that is wrong with the world.

Having said, I think he has spoken out, in passing, against Western
dependence on exploitation of cheap labour pools in the developing
world.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk