[Gllug] Last Modified

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sun Jan 25 10:49:57 UTC 2004

On Sat 24 Jan Simon Faulkner wrote:
> How might I display the details of the last modified file in a directory
> tree?

It's a good habit to get into to always, when root, use the lart
switches to ls:

    # ls -lart

This lists all files in reverse with the most recently modified at the
end.  It's a good habit because you get a feel for what is being changed
when, and how often.  I've found you can often spot problems early by
seeing that directories look wrong, just kind of in passing.

It also has the bonus of showing recently created dot directories, which
ought to make hiding rootkits harder.

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"Roast Fish and Corn Bread"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk