[Gllug] Copying Laptop Drive

Chanka A. Perera cperera at virtusa.com
Thu Jan 8 03:00:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 06:29, Andrew Richardson wrote:
> My Laptop drive is dying on me and I need to do a total backup to
> another laptop drive.  20gb of Win2k and Mandrake 9.1 with grub as the
> boot loader.  I haven't got 20gb spare on another disk except for the
> replacement drive.
what do you actually want to do? do you want to back up all your data on
Laptop drive or do a mirror kind of thing? depends on your requirement
your can do several things..
for mirror purpose you can use Norton ghost / Powerquest  etc.. but they
are not GNU tools thought ;) if you really want to backup your data you
can mount your new HDD (if you have network) use smbmount and do tar
-jcvf /[mount path]backup.tar.bz2 /[backup source] do sync when done
else plug the other hdd and and do tar -jcvf ...

> What is the best way to do this ?  My hunch is to try hooking up the
> drives to an IDE cable in a desaktop box, try and jumper one as a slave
> and use Powerquest Drive Copy 4 on a windows box to do the honours.  I
> have read that grub can be a problem.

yes it'll take hours so best thing is to backup your data and reinstall
.. any way clearly explain what's your requirement...

	Chanka Perera

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk