[Gllug] Fax/Print server

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 20:19:25 UTC 2004

Simon Perry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a client who is finally upgrading from their Win95 windows
> messaging mail and fax server!
>
> <pause> let the sniggering die down </pause>
>
> The functionality they are are after is to be able to send faxes from
> their desktop clients (win98/XP) and for received faxes to be forwarded
> to the clients from the server. Plus the ability to scan in hard copy
> documents. The old machine also shared a Hp LaserJet printer so that
> would need to be taken care of as well.
>
> I intend to use a Linux based open source solution so my question is has
> anyone had any experience with a similar setup or know of a
> project/package that already does this. My initial thoughts are to use
> Hylafax, a mail server package and samba.
>
> All advice and suggestions welcomed. TIA.
>
> Simon

Did you get any answers Simon?

Basic fax functionality is simple in linux.

Try man fax or man efax

It get's harder when you try to send them from a windows client.

I use a hack.  I print the document to a samba shared printer (Apple PS
640 driver) and capture the postscript on the linux box.  I then goto a
web interface which displays a small version of the document and allows
you to add/select the fax number then send.

It's a right cobble up using bash, csh and python but it works for me!

I'm not so sure that it would be good in a multi user environment.

My friend, Adrian, adds a line "FAX:01538303999" at the top of the
document then parses the postscript for this.  Works for him!

I wish there was a version of GFI Faxmaker or ZetaFax for Linux.

Let me know how you get on.

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk