[Gllug] Laptop in a spin

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann TSCHUTZER-WEISSMANN at ofsted.gov.uk
Fri Jan 30 10:54:10 UTC 2004

Alistair commiserated:
> The overall effect is as as you but with one difference: my fans
operate
> permanently at full speed (or would, were it not for i8kmon).

i8kmon sounds quite handy. Thanks.

My hunch is that the wireless drivers simply won't work with APM, only
with ACPI. It sounds plausible.

My other hunch is that on battery, there comes a time when the battery
status changes and the damn thing decides to Do Something. Either hang
completely (APM), or try and take off (ACPI). At least with ACPI I have
time to save my work.

If the CPU is forcing idle cycles, that would explain why the load goes
to 90% without any process being responsible.

at least it works sometimes
cheers,
TSW

We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage
sustained as a result of software viruses. It is your
responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary before opening any attachment to
this message.

The information in this email and any files transmitted with
it may be of a confidential nature and is intended solely for
the addressees. If you are not the intended addressee, any
disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and
may be unlawful.

www.ofsted.gov.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk