[Gllug] email, filtering etc

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 18:27:04 UTC 2004

I'm thinking of changing my email address which I've had for around six
years. My filtering
works well, but now I'm tired of seeing a mass of junk in my logs.

Well after retirement I got a computer and after the first threee months
switched from Win to
Debian which I've stayed with ever since. For email, I've been using my
ISPs server side
filter offering, then popsneaker to knock off and log stuff getting
through, then getmail followed
by a further filter program 'procbox' which is fairly easy to alter as
spammers change their
attack strategy. I use mutt for reading, replying etc and nailmailer for
sending.

I subscribe to a number of 'heavy' newsgroups and my email address was
long ago harvested -
a repetition of this I'd like to avoid, so I'm going to try posting from
a Tiscali 'pay as you go', account but subscribe from my main new email
address. There is still a partition with Win in
it into which I've installed Tiscali and verified that it works.

Now, I'd like some help from a knowlegeable individual if someone will
be kind enough to help:-

a. From my Debian installation will I be able to connect to my main ISP,
use say Konqueror
    to connect to Tiscali and get any mail from there (shouldn't be
much). I get to my main ISP
    through a separate box holding only my Firewall (Smoothwall).

b. Is it possible to configure Debian to get email direct from Tiscali
(I think wvdial would let
    let me connect, but what about the POP box?).

c. Is there an ISP which supports Linux and offers a 'pay as you go'
account?

d. Anything wrong with what I'm trying to do, or a better way  of going
about things?

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Regards,                        john.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk