[Gllug] Which graphics card?

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Thu Jan 29 16:50:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:31:53 +0000
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net> wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Tethys wrote:
>
> > So which modern card can I get
> > that'll work well with XFree86 for both 2D and 3D using only free
> > software drivers? I'm looking at 3D Labs, but they're quite pricey...
>
> Matrox G450 and G550 are superb in 2D performance.  3D isn't that
> great, but I rarely use that anyway.

Yep , i'd concur .
Dual head works well too although both screens need to be the same res.
With the 2.6 kernel you can also get DRI at the same time. the 3D is fine for
quake3 even in dual head.
The framebuffers are stable and can be used at the same time as X and DRI
with nothing more than the occasional cosmetic glitch.
Matrox cards are some of the best supported IMHO.

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk