[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jan 20 10:30:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:04:49AM +0000, Simon Morris wrote:
> 1. RMS suggested that "all the companies that distribute GNU\Linux also
> distribute non-free software, which is unethical. Some even develop
> non-free software which is worse"

Not true for Red Hat.  They have a fanatical devotion to freedom of
software which in some ways is quite damaging to them.

> 3. The cost of deploying "Enterprise Linux" distributions (RH, SuSE) is too
> high. Bruce Perens quoted: "The very aspects that made Linux desirable are
> under attack by Linux vendors bent on increasing shareholder value"
> Organisations are paying more and more for Linux as distributors demand a
> per seat cost and a service lock-in that withdraws support if the customer
> alters the source code

But again from my experience at Red Hat ... the reason that RH
developed Advanced Server (now called Enterprise Linux) is simply that
customers *wanted* per-seat pricing.  It was what they were used to,
and they asked for it.  So if they asked for it, give it to them.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
http://www.YouUnlimited.co.uk/ - management courses