[Gllug] Hardware IDE RAID

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sat Jan 17 22:30:05 UTC 2004

On Sat 17 Jan Simon Faulkner wrote:
> I'm getting one Doug :-)

:)

> I'm thinking about 5 200Mb SATA Drives in RAID 5 for my server
>
> and 2 200 Mb SATA Drives in my Workstation
>
> Any thoughts?

I'm amazed they make SATA drives that tiny :D

I'd try GND first if I were you, for all the kit, most especially if you
haven't used it before - with interesting new hardware there are real
advantages to dealing with non-fuckwits.  I expect if you buy the lot
from them they'll soak test it for you before shipping which can save
much grief (especially with the quality of HDDs these days).

Are you sure you need mirrored disks in a workstation?  If you are able
to cope with a few hours downtime, then it saves a lot of cash to just
keep a spare drive around - a single drive can be spare for a lot of
workstations, saving quite a bit, let alone the costs of raid
controllers...

I've not used SATA yet so I can't say much else useful.  Do let us know
how much it costs and how you get on :)

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"The purpose of all war is robbery."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk