[Gllug] First Debian install - a little help needed!

FORSTER, David david.forster at mfi.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 11:50:07 UTC 2004

> I've recently done a hard drive install of Morphix (a Knoppix
> derivative) which basically gives me a customised version of Debian.
> This defaulted to a maximum of 1024x768 but I was able to start the
> Morphix disk at 1280x1024 using the boot command 'morphix
> screen=1280x1024'. Getting this to work from the HD install
> was simply a
> case of starting up the disk and copying /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to
> /mnt/hda1/etc/X11 (having mounted hda1 first).
>
> Wulf

That's similar to what I'm looking to do between Knoppix and the Debian
drive (hda2 in my case).
I'm going to do a diff on the two XF86Config-4 files and see where the
sections for the video card differ. Hopefully then I'll be able to start X
under Debian and I'll be sorted. It is XF86Config-4 I should be looking at,
not XF86Config right? My understanding is that the -4 file is for XFree86
version 4 onwards which is what I have installed.

David.