[Gllug] Perhaps Newham needs a decent Linux consultant?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 13:12:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 03:31:12PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 14:33, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 January 2004 12:39, Jason Clifford wrote:
> >
> > > This is still an area that really needs to be properly addressed by a Free
> > > Software solution.
> > >
> > Absolutely.
> >
> > From the client side perspective I have to say relying on IMAP just isn't good
> > enough! Sure you can read the email and - so long as you can connect to an
> > SMTP server - you can send mail too, but you cannot do much else.
>
> What did you want to do that you were having problems with? If you're
> talking calendaring/meeting scheduling, etc, then yes, an good open
> solution is still needed. However, in terms of mail solutions, I've
> found an IMAP based setup more than good enough. What did you think it
> lacked?

The other *big* issue is that everything has to play with everything else; ie
users should be able to book meetings, etc, with others irrespective as to if
they are using a M$ or a Linux desktop. An open source solution to that problem
does not (yet) exist.

In any (non small) organisation, the method of migration is key: the business has
to continue *uninterrupted* while desktops move over. This process should be expected
to last years -- there will always be someone who runs an application that only runs
on M$.

There needs to be open source work for key applications to work on the M$ platform.
OpenOffice does this, we need more to do this as well. Users then become OS agnostic
and will migrate to Linux on its cost & stability virtues - something that
standard office application lockin makes difficult today.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk