[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Jan 2 13:03:23 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, Richard Jones wrote:

> Can someone explain in simple terms what these cards do?
>
> Is this for  the digital radio broadcasts?
>
> Or for "Freeview" and all those extra channels that the BBC keep
> annoyingly talking about?

DVB = Digital Video Broadcast.  It's the European (+Australia and some
other areas) digital broadcast standard.  It's "Freeview" in the UK,
but it's also used by the Astra satellite and by Sky (though you can't
get a card to work with Sky -- they have a proprietary encryption
system that they won't sell seperately in contravention of EU
directives).

DVB can work over a number of media.  DVB-s is satellite, DVB-c is
cable and DVB-t is terrestrial broadcasting.

It is NOT the DAB, Digital Audio Broadcast, standard.  However, a
number of radio stations are re-broadcast over Freeview.  In London
that means you can get BBC1-7 and a bunch of others, though sadly not
XFM.

So the cards people are describing (Hauppauge Nova-T amongst a large
family of others) decode terrestrial DVB broadcasts.  For all intents
and purposes, most people are describing Freeview.

Linux DVB FAQ:
http://www.linuxdvb.tv/documentation/faq/cache/1.html

VDR (tivo for DVB):
http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/

(Note: this site sucks for information!  Unlike what you might read,
you CAN use the "budget" and USB DVB kit.  There is a xine "output"
plugin which means VDR can render on anything xine can output on.  I'd
recommend joining the list, rather than relying on any of the sites.)

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

No, Democracy is not identical with majority rule. Democracy
is a State which recognizes the subjection of the minority
to the majority, that is, an organization for the systematic
use of force by one class against the other, by one part of
the population against another.

- Lenin
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk