[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Wm bill at boughton.org.uk
Thu Jan 22 16:55:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:26:47PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:18:32PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> cheap routers don't do good passthrough, that of the routers being sold
> to the Soho markets the only ones doing good passthrough are the more
> expensive ones capable of either offering VPN capability (for example)
> or passing it through.

I've found pass through tends not to work very well, if you don't mind
the overhead it might be worth getting a device that just gives
you PPPoE on an attached ethernet and running a PPPoE client on a
proper machine.  That way you don't have to trust IP stack in cheap
router, which all tend to be crap in my experience.

> Where are the soho equivalents of the Cisco 1600 series, for example?

The Cisco 1600s sadly won't take ADSL wic1adsl interfaces :( or atleast
there is no IOS that supports them.

Cisco 827/837s but they are several 100 quid.

bill
--
Bill Boughton		<murble(at)@yuri.org.uk>
 			<bill@(at)xencat.murble.org.uk>