[Gllug] Production system - Linux 2.4.24, LVM and cciss

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Jan 12 16:25:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:04:10 +0100 (CET)
John Hearns <john.hearns at clustervision.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Rickey Costas wrote:
>
> > cfengine looks prety funky, but also like one of those things thats a
> > solution looking for a real problem !

> I don't agree.
> There are many smart people looking into methods of automatically
> configuring and managing large, heterogenous arrays of machines.
> The one I'm more familiar with is LCFG http://www.lcfg.org
> The LHC grid project at CERN is evolving an XML based schema to describe
> the configuration of machines.

I'm going to have to agree with john on this one. Cfengine is on my official
list of things to roll-out this year. Configuration management is becoming a
real headache as we are growing so fast.  Like John says the problem is having
lots of machines that are configured to different things. Spending a day
getting a machine configured right in the first place is fine. But when it
goes bang you want to be able to get the second one configured in five-minutes
flat.

Of course now john has pointed out lcfg I'm going to have to get my head round
it to work out if it is better for what we need than cfengine which I have
only just got my head round.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk