[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jan 20 14:12:55 UTC 2004

On Tuesday, 20 Jan 2004, Tethys wrote:
>I stand corrected. Do you know where this CCM license came from, and why
>Red Hat haven't just GPLed it? I've been impressed that they've released
>other software (e.g., Source Navigator and IIRC, GFS) under the GPL, when
>there was no real need for them to do so. It's always nice to see a company
>living up to its stated principles.

Red Hat do seem very much to be really doing the "charge for support"
thing, without dodges like non-free YaST. Of course they are
exploiting the gullibility of corporates to a degree, who tend to
assume it is conventional proprietary software (and so you can't, eg,
buy support on one of ten thousand identical workstations and
reproduce any problem you have on the supported workstation, which is
perfectly legal), but I don't see any problem with that.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk