[Gllug] Accessing local web server from WAN

Simon MORRIS simon.morris at westbourne-terrace.com
Fri Jan 30 22:26:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 08:17:38PM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've set myself up a local web server, and want to be able to access it
> from 'outside'. Now, apache is running on a LAN box, behind a gateway.
> I can forward the port 80 traffic, but I'd rather put a proxy on the
> gateway.
>
> Is squid the best option? Any comments as to the security implications?

I recently had a look at this kind of setup for a webmail server in my
organisation. I found that using Apaches Reverse Proxy functionality
works very well. From what I could make out Squid is a forward not
reverse proxy (I would be pleased to be corrected if wrong!)

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html

SM

--
Simon Morris