[Gllug] Discussion: Is Enterprise Linux a lock-in

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 22 14:57:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:32:01PM +0000, Pete wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:33:21AM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> >
> > Most users of Free Software don't share RMS' hardline position on it,
>
> Fortunately, there are developers of free software that do.

"Fortunately" is subjective.  There are plenty of OSS developers who
don't, which is why the Open Source Initiative was created.  You might
also consider this:

http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html

Even strong supporters of the GPL are finding it hard to support some of
RMS' latest tactics, such as the more restrictive clauses in the GFDL.

I don't want to read too much into a post as short as yours, so I'll
just ask you what your opinion is of people who use and develop free
software but don't share RMS' position in full.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock