[Gllug] Perhaps Newham needs a decent Linux consultant?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 21:08:17 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 20:08, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:27:08PM +0000, Adrian wrote:
> > > Is it so essential that your calendar be stored in your mail client?
> > > There are plenty of open source calendar/todo-list/workgroup solutions
> > > that can send e-mail notifications etc.
> >
> > I don't work in IT. I came into an environment where everybody else used
> > Windows and Exchange. Saying to them, please don't use that, use my free
> > software alternative for the six weeks I am working with you wasn't an
> > option.
>
> What do you expect?  You were a short-term guest in their environment.
> In that case you work with their tools.

What do you mean, what do I expect? I didn't *expect* anything. I was
commenting on the lack of a free software solution to a real world problem.

"Using their tools" isn't much of an option if that means buying a new laptop
and Windows OS or dumping Linux off the existing one.

> > And, as for getting printing to work ... forget about it!
>
> Sorry, no patience for you there.  CUPS is very easy to get working with
> Windows printing and LPRNG isn't so terrible, either.

Well, we'll have to disagree on that one. If it was easy I might have been
able to get beyond printing a test page in six weeks of trying. And I am not
your granny.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk