[Gllug] First Debian install - a little help needed!

FORSTER, David david.forster at mfi.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 17:19:07 UTC 2004

I only found out about it when I booted from CD1 on my desktop machine and
discovered that I couldn't use the keyboard (being USB). That'll teach me to
RTFM!

> If you have a network or
> internet connection available, ensure that it is in place
> before you start
> so that the installer can collect security updates immediately.
>    You should also update the kernel from the original bf24
> ASAP because of
> security problems. You can use one of the pre-compiled
> versions available
> for your processor, some of them will ensure that the rest of
> your system is
> updated at the same time, prompting you to add an extra line
> to the lilo
> config.

This isn't such an issue for me as these two machines are never connected to
the net (until I can convince certain people to buy ADSL and allow me to set
up a network at least).

>    I see that Debian are hoping to declare Sarge as the stable version
> within the next few weeks, together with a new improved installer.

I shall look forward to it with interest after recent experience!

David.