[Gllug] BT Wireless

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 18:33:19 UTC 2004

Jason Clifford <jason at ukpost.com> writes:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Rich Walker wrote:
>
>> My local Maplin has been doing them for £13. (Wood Green). There's one
>> humming away in my laptop now. They are based on a Texas Instruments
>> chipset, for which there are No Official Drivers, and a nice sourceforge
>> project with Working Drivers. (acx100 is the chipset).
>
> Does that mean you have the card working?
>
> I have one here and cannot get it to associate with anything. Any hints or
> tips?

Umm; kernel 2.4.22 or later. Old toshiba Portege 7000.
acx_100 code version 0.2.0pre6
Unpacked source in /home/rw/code.
Compiled as normal.

tigger:~# cat /etc/modutils/acx100
options acx100_pci debug=0 firmware_dir=/home/rw/code/acx100-0.2.0pre6/firmware use_eth_name=1

to get the firmware to load. I have it set to be eth0 to avoid confusion
with the USB WLAN devices.

/etc/network/interfaces: my eth0 looks like:

 iface eth0 inet static
	address 10.1.1.20
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 10.1.1.17
	pre-up modprobe tulip || true
	pre-up modprobe acx100_pci || true
	up iwconfig eth0 channel 5 mode managed essid fred enc s:shypadnisowAA || true
	up ifconfig eth0 down  || true
	up sleep 1 || true
	up ifconfig eth0 up || true
	up route add default gw gateway || true
	up ping -c 2 10.1.1.17 && exim -qf -v || true
	down umount -a -t nfs  || true
	post-down rmmod tulip || true
	post-down rmmod acx100_pci || true

The pre-up stuff just tries a couple of modules, but that's because it's
either a tulip pcmcia ethernet card, or a wireless card. Once it's up, I
set the encryption, and then configure it off and on again. [1] Then add
routes and so forth as normal.

Then ifup eth0 then "just works".

I consistently insert card then do ifup, as well as ifdown then remove
card.

hope this helps,

cheers, Rich.

Footnotes:
[1]  I think this is the magic voodoo that got it to work.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk