[Gllug] Excluding matches with grep

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sun Jan 25 18:35:42 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to filter some entries from a logfile to a text file.
Specifically, I want all firewall entries, except those which I can
already explain. For example - I don't want martian packets. So,
issuing:

cat /var/log/gateway.messages | grep SuSE-FW > fw.txt

gets all the firewall messages, then I can re-grep to extract particular
things by other patterns, but ideally I'd like to be able to do:

cat /var/log/gateway.messages | grep {reg-exp to match all lines with
SuSE-FW except (those with martian OR SPT=53 OR ...)} > fw.txt

Is this possible with grep?

Cheers

Dylan
                                  -Benjamin Franklin