[Gllug] Hardware IDE RAID

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 17:24:32 UTC 2004

> I have been running hardware and software raid for a few years and
> always found mylex raid controllers very good.  These are quite pricy
> for domestic use.

Will this properly presend one drive to Linux without any software drivers?

I also hear that 3Ware are good but I can't read through the marketing
hype to see what it REALLY does!

> On the software RAID front I have used any PCI IDE adapter I ould find
> and they have worked very well.

Yes!  I built a RAID 5 server with 5 x 250 Gb Disks on Promise cards and
it's not missed a beat yet!  It's rsynced hourly offsite and gave us a
really good solution for under 2K

   The only hiccough I have found is that
> the PCI IDE controllers have a tendency to swap drives around.  So when
> you install a kernel it will install it to what it sees as /dev/hda yet
> /dev/hda is actually /dev/hdg during boot :-)  It is really very good
> method to learn the grub command prompt :-)

Yes, I ought to have a much better understanding of the boot process.
However, crossing my fingers has got me this far!

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk