[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Jan 21 16:43:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:30:55PM +0000, Doug wrote:
> On Wed 21 Jan Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > Can you make any recommendations on that?  My experience has been that
> > cheap routers don't do good passthrough, that of the routers being sold
> > to the Soho markets the only ones doing good passthrough are the more
> > expensive ones capable of either offering VPN capability (for example)
> > or passing it through.
>
> I don't know if this is what you mean by passthrough, but I'm running my
> router in bridging mode, so it bridges pppoa to pppoe, then running
> pppoe and a pppd on the OpenBSD box, so it's actually that that makes
> the ppp connection.  Then I can firewall on ppp0 as my internet
> interface.

No, that's not it.  What I mean by pass-through is that the router
doesn't interfere with any of the ip traffic passing through it.  Most
of the cheaper Soho routers either do tricks with NAT and DHCP or have
incomplete IP stacks.  In both cases, the result is the same: complex IP
traffic like VPN connections simply don't work through them.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.