[Gllug] Recommend an ADSL modem?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jan 21 13:19:08 UTC 2004

My Alcatel Speedtouch Pro modem has finally pissed me off to the point
where I want to replace it with a better alternative.  Currently it
reboots every time I issue the "nat list" command ...  Alcatel seem to
have given up supporting it - no updates for 2 years, and there are
well-known security holes in the current firmware.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement DSL modem.  It must have the
following attributes:

* Good CLI or web-based configuration.

* Currently supported, and easy to upgrade from Linux, with a vendor who
  takes security updates seriously.  (Perhaps even open source OS???)

* Configurable NAT timeout. (Vital this one ...)

* Port forwarding from external ports to internal machines.

I've already got a wireless AP and a router so built in wireless and
4-port ethernet isn't essential, but might be nice if the price is
right.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk